TRAVEL SAFETY NOTIFICATION
Dear Harmony Students, Families, and Staff:
Soon, our schools will close for our annual winter break. In a typical year, the break would mean a time of gathering together with loved ones, and perhaps travel. However, this year, local and national health officials are strongly discouraging all citizens from traveling or meeting in groups outside their immediate households in order to prevent the further spread of COVID-19 in our community. Regardless of winter break plans or activities, the following details outline the health protocols which will be followed after the winter break for students who may have been exposed to COVID-19 while away from school.
Please be aware that, due to CDC travel guidelines, students and families who have traveled to locations that are marked as a coronavirus risk by the CDC must quarantine for 14 days before returning to campus. Any additional absence will require further documentation from the parents or doctor. For a list of countries with COVID-19 travel advisories, visit https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/index.html
Currently these countries include, but are not limited to:
Afghanistan, the Bahamas, Brazil, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, Ecuador, Egypt, France, Germany, Honduras, India, Israel (including the West Bank and Gaza), Italy, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, the Netherlands, Norway, Pakistan, Puerto Rico (U.S.), Russia, South Africa, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, Venezuela, etc.
Please keep the following CDC recommendations in mind:
Testing before and after travel can reduce the risk of spreading COVID-19. Testing does not eliminate all risk, but when paired with a period of staying at home and precautions like wearing masks and social distancing, it can make travel safer by reducing spread on planes, in airports, and at travelers’ destinations.
The following are some activities that the CDC indicates puts you at higher risk for COVID-19:
- Travel from a country or U.S. territory with a Level 2, Level 3, or Level 4 Travel Health Notice.
- Going to a large social gathering like a wedding, funeral, or party.
- Attending a mass gathering like a sporting event, concert, or parade.
- Being in crowds like in restaurants, bars, fitness centers, or movie theaters.
- Taking public transportation like trains or buses or being in transportation hubs like airports. • Traveling on a cruise ship or river boat.
If you participated in higher-risk activities during your international travel, you should quarantine for 14 days AND do the following after travel:
- Get tested 3-5 days after travel
- Please note that on campus testing is not available for those returning from travel.
- If your test is positive, isolate yourself to protect others from getting infected.
Avoid being around people who are at increased risk for severe illness (Diabetes, Obesity, Asthma, Elderly, etc) for 14 days, whether you get tested or not.
Principal at Harmony School of Technology